Namu Conservancy is located on the Central Coast in the traditional territories of the Heiltsuk and Nuxalk Nations. The conservancy was created in 2008 and covers 10,312 hectares.
Namu Conservancy and Namu Corridor Conservancy were established as part of the government’s land use decision in the Central Coast planning area. Strategically located at the entrance to Burke Channel, Fougner Bay was home to the Namu Cannery, which was built in 1893 and was in operation until 1969.
Archaeological evidence and First Nations oral history documents that Namu has been used by aboriginal people for at least 11,000 years, making it the oldest recorded place of human habitation on the coast and the longest continuously occupied site in Canada. Namu is a Heiltsuk word for ‘place of high winds’ or ‘whirlwind’. The conservancy also protects grizzly bear habitat and many fish-bearing streams.
Overview provided by BC Parks